Monday 13 August 2012

Fail!

I wasn't going to update my blog until my train journey, to keep me entertained during the many, many hours.  However, the epic fail that is my attempts to leave New Orleans needs writing about!

I came here on August 8th for 3 nights, with the intention of leaving at 7am on August 11th.  Simple enough, right?  Well, August 10th came around, and I heard about the Red Dress Run and an art gallery show going on the next day.  This all sounded very interesting, so I stayed another day.

I never did make it to either event, but still enjoyed the day.  Then I tried to book my train out of New Orleans, and found every single train was booked up.  In every direction.  I literally could not leave.

I stayed another night and booked myself onto the train for the next day (13th).  All was good. I was going to go to Baltimore, then Philadelphia, then on to my job in Vermont on the 16th.

I went to bed on the night of the 12th, was checked out, had my taxi booked, and my alarm was set.  All was good.

I woke up at 7.30am in utter horror.  My train had left New Orleans half an hour ago and I was still in bed.  My alarm was set for 5.40PM.  Nooooooooo!

I sheepishly went downstairs and booked myself in another night, and borrowed one of the staff member's phones to ring Amtrak.  They were very nice about it and booked me onto the next train, leaving on the 14th.

Given my multiple failed attempts to go to Baltimore, I decided to take the "hint" and am going straight to Philly.  I'm a little superstitious and am not willing to ignore the potential warning!  Plus then all the rest of my trains and hostels continue to link up.

So here I am, still in New Orleans 5 days after arriving!  I think I'm just not allowed to leave...!

No comments:

Post a Comment