Tuesday 11 September 2012

Tuesday, Blood Tuesday

I keep promising myself that I'll catch up with this blog, but life continues to race away from me! I arrived back in the UK yesterday afternoon after a crazy long journey (1 mini-van, 1 bus, 2 planes, 1 car and a whole lot of waiting around). I've been working at a family resort on Lake Champlain, Vermont for 3 weeks which has been good fun but I'm glad to be home. I seem to have escaped jet lag, but am quite sleep deprived all the same.

I decided that I'd get straight into the swing of things by jumping back into my English life with two feet. This meant that I was up and raring to go today at 7.30am (ok, I was awake...mostly). I took my little brother to school this morning, then headed over to my dad's photography gallery, Steve Oatway Photography, to assist on a photo-shoot. The client is Adele Carrington, an author who needs images to use for the book cover and as marketing material. To be honest, the thought of getting to meet an actual author who was publishing an actual book is the only thing that dragged me out of bed this morning!



We were told that the book is about a female vampire, and the image that Adele wanted involved a lot of fake blood and a white background. She would provide the vampire and the blood if we could provide the set.




Mum and I went to Tesco last night to buy a cheap king-size mattress sheet (background) and a kid's paddling pool (to catch the blood...). Fairly innocuous purchases, put to a slightly disturbing task!



After a few false starts, we were able to hang the background onto the crumbling brick wall (picture hooks – a photographer's best friend!). Our photography assistant, Lana, seemed to have a lot of fun decorating the set, though she complained that the blood was sticky and cold!




Just as we were finishing up, in walked Adele with her vampire, who was looking remarkably normal in jeans and a black top. No fangs or gothic dresses to be seen anywhere. Adele later explained that she didn't want to pander to stereotypes, and she had purposefully created a “Romany gypsy vampire” to escape the Hollywood clichés.




We all had a lot of fun on the set, especially giggling over the faces the vampire (Tina, a friend of Adele's) made as she was gradually covered in more and more fake blood. Apparently some of it was peanut butter, and she was quite put out that it was crunchy. I guess smooth peanut butter would have been more acceptable?!



There were several costume changes, liberal amounts of fake blood and a whole lot of laughs. Tina was a great sport and agreed to try almost all suggestions, most of which involved spreading blood across her face and hands! She drew the line at getting any in her hair (thus rejecting the idea of “let's just pour the jar over her head”) since she had a “very important, serious meeting to go to after this!”.





I was sent to the shop to buy some baby wipes (what better way to clean up blood?!) while everyone else had a coffee break.



On my way back, I paused outside our gate to see what it must look like to a passer-by. It was looked amusingly strange, but I suppose it could be worse, right? Somehow...? Though to be honest, I'm more concerned by what the black bin bag full of bloodied sheets and a paddling pool will look like to the bin men...!



In between shots I amused myself by taking some photos of the detail, such as of the vampire's blood-spattered diary and the mason jars full of blood!








All in all, this was a highly entertaining re-introduction into life in England as a photographer's daughter and some time gallery manager. If anyone reading this decides they need photos of vampires, please get in touch – we'd love to repeat this bizarre experience! Any challenge is welcome here.

I can't wait to see what will be thrown my way next, especially if all my upcoming projects involve this much fun.

All the best,
Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment