Tuesday 4 June 2013

Camp NaNoWriMo - July 2013


For reasons even I don't fully understand, today I signed myself up for Camp NaNoWriMo (July 2013)!  I've been taking a break from writing since I finished my Open University course, A363 (Advanced Creative Writing - level 3 course), but figured this would be a good way to get back into it again.  What can I say, I guess I'm a sucker for deadlines!

Plus, I'm used to working very long hours, and studying on top of all of that, so with a 10 week summer holiday stretching ahead, I felt the need to fill the time somehow.  So far I'll be doing Camp NaNo, and probably an online TEFL course.  And working, if someone will give me a job for the summer.  And spending time with my family, of course.  Yes, I suppose that will keep me just nicely busy!

I'm now in a flat spin about Camp NaNo though, what on earth do I write?!  I've been toying with the idea of a fantasy novel since A215 (Creative Writing - the level 2 course), but whenever I try and write it, it's just a bit...well...rubbish.  I could write about some of my wacky adventures from the last few years, so many people tell me I should, but I wouldn't know where to start.  Plus, it's all well and  good saying "write what you know", but that's actually really quite difficult!  Or it is for me, anyway.  If I don't do either of those things, then what?!

All I can say is - it's a good job I have a month to figure it out...

2 comments:

  1. Come on Charlotte... you can DO this!!!!! Just write about things you know/do, but put your fictional hero/heroine into those situations! They don't even have to be in the order that they really happened...you can make things fit in the way you want! I KNOW you'll do fine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Nancy :) At the moment I'm probably going to do the fantasy story I came up with, simply because it's so unlike what I normally write. If I get to the end of the month and decide it's still rubbish, then it can go in the trash and never darken my door again! Hope you're all doing well :)

    ReplyDelete