Saturday 31 March 2012

Application : Step One

You'll have to forgive me if my memory is a little shaky on this, it's been a while since I began my CCUSA application! Plus I'm getting a little senile in my "old age" :)

I looked into all the relevant UK options for working in America on a Summer Camp (I had my heart set on the USA). I eventually chose CCUSA as I felt it was the best value for money, though I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who disagree!

I signed myself up with CCUSA and began my application. It was a rather long and in depth application form - it took me quite a while! I had to write about myself, my education, my work experience, what camps I wanted to work at and why...and all within a 3 line character limit! It was surprisingly difficult to say everything I wanted to say in such a small space. Then, as if to make it for it all, I had to write a 3,000 character "About Me" essay!

I put that essay off for days! But after a little pep talk from my team leader at work I finally sat down and started writing in Word. I wrote about what my interests were, what experience I had of working with children, why I wanted to work at camp...I just let the words flow in one big burbling mess. Before I knew it, I had about 5,000 characters and something that roughly resembled an essay! I spent the next couple of evenings shaping it, editing it, cutting it back, and making it a coherent work of art.

Finally my application was done and I hit the "Submit" button. I also paid my £45 application fee.

I then sat back...

And I waited....

No comments:

Post a Comment