Wednesday 20 June 2012

The Kindness of Children

At my summer camp we have a "bead" system.  Each day the children are awarded two coloured beads - one from each cabin counsellor - for positive things they have done throughout the day.  This could range from holding the door open (social competencies - orange) to passing the Swim Test (boundaries and expectations - brown).  At the end of the week they are presented with their eight beads.

Last night we had our camp-out, which we have each session.  Boys have theirs' Monday night, and girls' is Tuesday night.

We were all huddled in our sleeping bags next to the dying fire, under the beautiful starry sky.  My "co" and I finished giving out that day's beads and were about to give the order to go to sleep.  One girl asked if they could please give out beads.  We agreed and made sure they understood they were only hypothetical beads.

Almost every girl then proceeded to give my "co" and I a bead.  We were thanked for our support, our kindness, our patience and our willingness to listen.  I admit, I teared up a little.  I know it's my job to be all of those things, and I'm sure the girls know that too, but it was so sweet of them to think of us.  The sweet, simple kindness of these 12-13 year old girls was genuinely touching.  I know my "co" was as moved by it as I was.

They then went on to give "beads" to each other.  In previous weeks this worried me a little, as young girls often give them to their "BFFs" only.  I shouldn't have worried this week.  They made sure no-one was left out.  If they forgot someone, they would ask to have another turn.  They also took extra care to include one camper with noticeable special needs.  Their gentle inclusion of her throughout this week has been truly heartwarming.

Thank you to my beautiful young ladies.  Last night you showed your true colours - Purple (positive values), Red (empowerment) and Blue (support).  That sweet moment by the campfire will stay with me for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment