Friday 1 June 2012

Staff Training is OVER!

It's been a long 11 days, but staff training has finally finished.  We've been taught everything they think we need to know, and Sunday our first bunch of children arrive!  I don't remember everything they taught us, but I'm hoping that I took enough of it in that I'll be able to use it when the need arises.

Since my last post I've been switched from Archery over to Journalism.  I'm quite excited about it, and I think it'll be great :)

I'm going to be working with the youngest girls for the first week - ages 7 to 9.  I'm so excited!  Me and my "co" have our Devotions (like Circle Time) planned out for most of the week, and I think we've got a handle on the whole thing.

We've had all today off, and all tomorrow, then the children arrive Sunday afternoon.  We get the keep them til Friday afternoon, then Sunday afternoon we get a whole new batch!  I'll also switch "co"s, so I get to live in a new cabin and work with a new counsellor each week.  I'll be teaching Journalism twice a day for the whole time.

My concerns for next week are -
- The Camp Out - a night under the stars not really my thing! We did it during staff training and literally slept on a tarp!  It would have been beautiful, falling asleep next to a campfire, with the stars peeking through the trees and people singing songs with an acoustic guitar...but unfortunately it was really uncomfortable and there were too many bugs!  My hands are still recovering from all the bites I got.  Friendly tip for summer camp :YOU NEED BUG SPRAY! A LOT of bug spray. Reapply it throughout the day too.
- Journalism - I'm hoping my first newspaper goes well.  Once I get into the swing of it, I'm sure it'll be fine, but at the moment I'm not sure what to expect.

I've had a great time during staff training, and have loved getting to know the other counsellors.  They're all amazing people, and I think we'll make a fantastic team.  I'm very excited for the children to arrive and see us all come together into one cohesive unit.

Gonna be awesoooome!

No comments:

Post a Comment