Wednesday 17 July 2013

Summer Camp: Why Do I Do It?

My decision to volunteer at summer camp for 4 weeks has been received by a lot of confusion - from the airport immigration officer, to the youth leader I'm working with.  No-one can quite seem to understand why I would want to spend my own time and money to toil in the blistering heat for the sake of a bunch of kids with attitude.  Of course, if I looked at it like that...I wouldn't do it.

The youth leader (my Counsellor-In-Training this week) did seem to genuinely be curious though, and I can't say I blame her for wondering.  We were out on camp-out, and had been faced with nothing but negativity from the campers.  As we walked through the woods, carrying heavy camping equipment, sweating profusely in the high temperatures, she just asked "How do you do this?!".  At moments like that, I'm not sure myself!

The truth is, it's hard work.  It's exhausting.  I'm bone-tired.  I have the most ridiculous tan-lines.  I ache all over.  I'm covered in bug-bites.  I got badly sunburned last week.  I'm hungry.  I'm a fussy eater, and camp food can occasionally leave a little to be desired for a picky person like me.  My kids keep bickering, they won't listen, they answer back...but after camp, all of that fades.  You remember all of the negative things, but they're not the first thing that comes to mind when you think "camp".

Instead, you think about the other things.  The good things.  That's what camp is about.

It's the twins with their corny but slightly unexpected jokes that leave you howling.
It's the pre-teen girl announcing that she wants to be an organ donor.
It's the surprising vote of confidence from the loudest child, who recognises that counsellors have feelings (and get tired) too.
It's the conversations about diabetes at 1am with a little girl who doesn't let it get her down, but instead launches herself into the nurses office when she's "feeling low" shouting - "I is in da HOUSE!".
It's the young man who stands up in the Talent Show to defend a boy with special needs because he felt the audience wasn't being properly respectful.
It's the sound of childish laughter ringing across the camp.
It's the camp songs, sung with enthusiasm (if not much tune).
It's the campers shouting your name from across the field, who just want to wave and say hello.
It's being remembered by campers, even though a year has gone by.
It's the funny questions about England ("Do you get invited to balls?"; "Are you kind of British?").
It's the young lady making a stand against bullying.
It's getting to know the other counsellors as you make camper awards at 2am.
It's the little boy who jumps for joy every time his arrow hits the target in archery (even if it's not a bullseye).
It's the 10 year old girl working hard to learn Spanish so she can communicate with her new best friend who doesn't speak English.
It's the 7 year old girl who translates from English to Spanish, so the girl doesn't get excluded.
It's the boy who dances during the Talent Show, and the whole camp dances with him.
It's the girl who calls everyone her brother and sister, and loves her camp family dearly.
It's PB&J sandwiches, s'mores, and campfire fajitas.
It's the sound of the campfire popping as you lie under the stars.
It's the campers who cry when they have to leave.  And the counsellors who cry with them.
It's the 10 year old girl who says she wants to move to Africa "so I can build houses and help people".
It's the happiness found in the smallest of things, by the children who have the toughest circumstances.
It's the expression of joy and wonder on the face of a camper, because her counsellor took the time to read out her award in Spanish as she doesn't speak much English.  And it's all the hugs (and tears) that follow.
It's the 'cool' teenage boy who sings a song for his mom (who sadly passed away) in the Talent Show with his sisters. It's the moment where he wraps his arms around his sisters, bows his head, and cries. It's all the staff who cry with him. It's the moment the next day where he tells the other teenage boys that "it's ok to cry".
It's the 18 year old counsellor who tries not to cry as he explains how he feels like camp is "where I'm meant to be". It's his 20 year old friend, who never says much, who tells him how proud he is of everything he's achieved this summer. It's how proud I am too.
It's the tears as the summer ends, and everyone goes their separate ways. It's the promises to meet up, and stay in touch.
It's the friendships made that last forever.
It's the lifechangers.

That's why I come back.


3 comments:

  1. That was a lovely post and brought tears to my eyes. I am proud and incredibly lucky to have you as my daughter. Have fun precious
    LLL
    Mummy
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I so enjoyed your blog. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! Bring that enthusiasm back with you and we will have a cracking good year at school.

    ReplyDelete