Thursday 5 July 2012

Happy 4th July!



...For yesterday, of course, I do know it's now the 5th!

This was the third 4th July that I've spent in America, but it was a first for the other two international counsellors.  I had a vague idea of what to expect, especially since it seems very similar to our Bonfire Night, but they didn't!  Then again, my first 4th July was spent frantically cleaning toilets at Disney World, and my second was spent on a boat (tied up at the dock), watching the reflections of fireworks bouncing off the huge bridge that was blocking the fireworks themselves...

Our original plan was to go to downtown Indianapolis in the evening and have a picnic at the park.  We'd take peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, a Frisbee, maybe even a "soccer" ball and hang out until the fireworks started.

As increasingly appears to be the case...this didn't quite happen.  We didn't leave camp until 9.45pm (fireworks were due to start at 10pm), and went racing downtown, with 5 people stuffed into a 4 person car.  We ended up pulling up at a car park and stood out on the sidewalk to watch the show.  The firework show was synchronised to music on a local radio show, which our American friend played on her phone for us.  

It wasn't quite as planned, but it was still good fun.  All the people who lived nearby came out of their houses to watch the show, so we stood with a lot of other people, including highly excited little children.  This gave the entire experience a sweet, community feel.  Plus, everything is more fun with wriggling, giggling children around!  (I know, I know, I have to say that, I'm a camp counsellor...!  Doesn't make it any less true though).

The fireworks were spectacular.  A lot of time and effort had clearly been put into them, and I'm very glad that they weren't cancelled.  There's a burn ban in effect in our area at the moment, due to how dry it's been. A lot of the smaller shows had to be cancelled, and it's currently an arrest-able offense to set off fireworks.  Since I'm from damp old England, this is quite a new concept to me!  But then I look outside at the brown, dead grass and I realise...it probably wouldn't take much to set the entire field alight.

All too soon the fireworks were over and we hopped back in the car.  It took a long time to get back to camp, fighting the traffic the whole way, but it was worth it.  We sang and danced along with the radio the whole time!  I think we surprised the friend of the American counsellor, but that's what camp does to a person - life suddenly becomes a musical!  A crazy, happy, bouncy musical.  And I wouldn't have it any other way!

So I hope you all had a fabulous 4th of July, wherever you might have been!

PS.  Watch this space for tales of how me and the other English counsellor spent the day exploring downtown Indy on 4th July.  It's a fabulous story, filled with adventure and an exceptional ability to get hopelessly lost, wherever we go....

No comments:

Post a Comment