Monday 2 April 2012

Taking the Initiative : Problem #1

So a few days ago I contacted a few camps directly, as advised to do by a Camp Director. He said he has people do that every year, and it's not an issue. I took this as gospel truth and started hunting out camps. I'm now in discussion with a camp who are very interested in my application. I contacted CCUSA to express my interest in the camp and requested they forward my details to the camp. Today I received this reply -

I am afraid that we will not be able to send your application to [CAMP] as we advise against contact camps. This is mentioned in the Interview Checklist which you signed:

Please note that CCUSA is now responsible for finding you a camp. Do not contact camps directly.

Our US Office are fantastic at finding great camps for all of our counselors, and once you are accepted onto the program, we are not able to send your application to camps that you have been in contact with. I am extremely confident that our US Office will find an amazing camp for you!

Honestly I'm quite frustrated by this reply. How was this any different to going to a Camp Fair and talking to a director there? How is this different to the FAQ question on the CCUSA website which says -

Yes, please follow the normal application procedure and include a letter of invitation or an email from the camp that is offering you a position. You must make sure your camp is currently an active camp with CCUSA. If not, please have your Camp Director call our head office in the U.S. at 1-800-999-2267. If or when your camp becomes active, we'll make sure the camp receives your completed application form so they can hire you. As your visa sponsor, CCUSA is required to thoroughly screen all applicants, even if they have a job already arranged.

I've now emailed what I hope is the USA Office for some clarification. Are they now refusing to allow me to work with this camp? Am I being punished? I'm very frustrated and quite disappointed.

I'll keep you all posted *sighs*

No comments:

Post a Comment